12 replies to this topic

#1 Killroy

Killroy

• Moderators - CS admin
  • 9 Сообщений:
  • LocationEngland

Отправлено 17 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

Hello :)

As many know servers do struggle for popularity and find varieties of ways to make their servers attractive or simply spread the word about themselves. I believe that a Facebook page would help. Now I know this brings both troubles as well as positives and in terms, I have assessed them and firmly think that a Facebook page would be a good driveway for the Setti community to widen, connect as well as show appreciation to users. 

So here are some positives I believe would be brought along with a Facebook page:

1. Connectivity and unity- it's another way to communicate with members of Setti- now I know you may say, that's why there's a forum, for people to talk to each other. However many do prefer social medias for such actions such as Facebook, it will not only broaden the spectrum in which new members may be found but also be another, conventional way to bring the community together.

2. Another way to advertise and promote

3. With conventionality comes opportunity- so if you take in mind that having a Facebook page will bring more members and popularity, the structure of the Facebook page allows for a easy and nice to use way to create competitions (for example sending a funny screenshot from your game, winner gets some kind of a set prize) which would show appreciation to members as well as connect admins and mods to the community more

4. Has many uses- you may not agree with the suggestions I have made above, however these are not all the things that can be done with Facebook, giveaways, competitions, announcements, poles, can all be available to users who would prefer to use Facebook

5. Subtle- Many, many people visit Facebook every day of course, however not many may wish or have the dedication to come onto this forum website for updates etc. Therefore, if you put this together you can easily see how a like on Facebook will open a new opportunity to 'spread the word' about any news you wish. Most people scroll through their Facebook feed when in boredom, so chances are people will see a post from the page and are more likely to participate in whatever it may be. :clap:

Now to the negatives:

1. Effort- Quite self explanatory. Admins will have to be present and in charge of the Facebook page, updating it for any needs which will take work

2. Commercializing- Perhaps with too many giveaways and other people might spam or simply attempt to use the page to increase their luck with getting free items, however this can be solved by creating some kind of proof that the person has played or used the servers, perhaps using Facebook to outline a giveaway, then re-direct it onto this page to make the person create an account and through that have a chance at the give away.

3. Dedication- It may be a drooling task, however I do believe it will be one that is worthwhile  :cheers:

Sorry for the long post and if you have any suggestions do not hesitate to write them below. I am well aware these are not all negatives, as well as positives, however I am firm that it would be a good project to make to expand this community.

Killroy

#2 SNiPY

SNiPY

//Aggressive Gaming™

• Moderators - Admin
  • 3534 Сообщений:
  • LocationGreece

Отправлено 17 April 2015 - 06:08 PM

Well written. :)

I'm always open for new ideas that may help this community. And i can say i like it. Let's see what the others will say.

...you can achieve immortality, simply by doing one great thing...

#3 TheMisaGen

TheMisaGen

Professional Chair Thrower

• Moderators - Minecraft admin
  • 391 Сообщений:
  • LocationTitan

Отправлено 17 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

I actually suggested this over a year ago in Settis Ad Plan (Silent, and all other admins check your inbox, you'll find it there)

Anyways, you did present some good points, and they do sound good on paper.

The question we need to ask now is, what page did we like and came back to open it up again? 

For example, if I like Taylor Swifts Facebook page, and if she doesn't post much, I wouldn't notice that I even liked her page. But I guess this goes hand in hand with one of your negatives (Effort). 

I think, most of Settis player base in the past was from word of mouth. For example, somebody plays on the CSS server, likes it, tells his friend, and then that friend tells his other friends about it, and so on and so forth.

Facebook wasn't really in the picture, because if someone really wanted to play on our servers, they'd look us up on Google.

To my point, then:

I don't think it's a bad idea, and don't see how it can affect Setti negatively. You can't really put down an idea without at least giving it a shot.

But I think there are more serious issues we need to worry about now, mainly our outdated website. (Still says 2013 (Whose idea was this?)).

When we fix the big issues, we can start moving on to the little things like promoting on Facebook.

My Ad plan is still usable, but it's put on hold.

Bigger things need to be fixed.

I'm sure Silent, me and the other admins would like to hear suggestions on what can be improved.

PHIj7fz.gif

tumblr_mqgrgjwRqF1qzpxx1o1_500.gif

#4 Killroy

Killroy

• Moderators - CS admin
  • 9 Сообщений:
  • LocationEngland

Отправлено 17 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

Very true, a Facebook page is indeed in a bigger picture TheMisaGen in terms of when it would be appropriate, but I think, in my humble opinion at least, it would neither hurt to have one, or be THAT of a nuisance to be used to promote the server, and to your point of word of mouth, I think Facebook can reinforce on that, a friend tells another about it, I for example often look at Facebook for when I find a clan or a thing I like such as a movie. However that is just my viewpoint.  

#5 SNiPY

SNiPY

//Aggressive Gaming™

• Moderators - Admin
  • 3534 Сообщений:
  • LocationGreece

Отправлено 17 April 2015 - 08:52 PM

Oh yes you did Misa my friend. I still remember your pm. You had suggested many ways to advertise Setti. :)

The truth is indeed some other things have priority. If those things wouldn't exist, i would have made the FB page when Misa recommended it back then. Things like outdated forum (and i don't mean only the title), half-functional masterserver and boost service. Now you may ask, why don't you fix them then? Well, if it was in my hand, or Heady's hand those issues would have been fixed right the moment of their appearance. The major issue is Ghost. Ghost is the boss here and he has root access in everything, but he is inactive unfortunately. We have been trying to get him back in action so he fixes all the issues where we don't have access for months. We managed that a few times but every time he was coming back, he was fixing a few percent of the issues and then he was going inactive again.

We were also planning to make a non-Steam release of CS:GO. But what's the point if those issues exist. So everything in the forum is stuck. We all hope we finally find a solution and fix them in the end. The good news? I have root access in the servers. That means i can manage and keep them up-to-date. Which is the main interest of the players i think. The situation it's not that tragic. It's not the end of Setti of course. Not as long as people like me, Heady, MisaGen and Alex are still here in charge. But considering that Setti was once the biggest and most famous CS gaming community in which pro players were once playing here, it's a bit sad to see this community falling. But it will not reach the ground. I believe in the end it will be popular again. Who knows. Maybe even more that it was. :)

#6 TheMisaGen

TheMisaGen

• 391 Сообщений:
  • LocationTitan

Отправлено 18 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

But it will not reach the ground.

As long as we're active, we won't let that happen :D

PHIj7fz.gif

#7 SNiPY

SNiPY

//Aggressive Gaming™

• Moderators - Admin
  • 3534 Сообщений:
  • LocationGreece

Отправлено 18 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

Damn right. :D

#8 TheMisaGen

TheMisaGen

• 391 Сообщений:
  • LocationTitan

Отправлено 19 April 2015 - 09:40 PM

^^500th upvote right here :D

PHIj7fz.gif

#9 SNiPY

SNiPY

//Aggressive Gaming™

• Moderators - Admin
  • 3534 Сообщений:
  • LocationGreece

Отправлено 19 April 2015 - 10:23 PM

<3 XD

#10 Ellanios

Ellanios

Hole Stretcher

• Moderators - CS admin
  • 640 Сообщений:
  • LocationPantheon of the Hole Stretchers

Отправлено 08 September 2015 - 08:54 PM

Nice E-Commerce essay.

Where is the OP now that he got admin privilleges to put this suggestion into practice?

Everybody here has great ideas for Setti's growth and welfare but only a handful of people stick around to help.

#11 SNiPY

SNiPY

//Aggressive Gaming™

• Moderators - Admin
  • 3534 Сообщений:
  • LocationGreece

Отправлено 08 September 2015 - 09:51 PM

I have great news. Pong server is down. Which means, CS:S, CS:GO, TS3 servers as well ass HLStatsX and SourceBans services are all down. It's probably caused by an HDD failure. I wish there is no data loss. Otherwise we will have issues. Big issues. :confused: 

#12 MoOnLiGht

MoOnLiGht

CatsyLady

• 520 Сообщений:
  • LocationGermany

Отправлено 09 September 2015 - 10:48 PM

dosnt have any root servers 2 harddisks?
if one die, the datas on the second one ...

#13 SNiPY

SNiPY

//Aggressive Gaming™

• Moderators - Admin
  • 3534 Сообщений:
  • LocationGreece

Отправлено 10 September 2015 - 07:28 AM

You are damn right Casty. But there is a but as always. :D

You see, the 1 out of 2 raid HDDs was down for soooooo long and we were asking Ghosty to fix this for sooooo long as well. Well, he never fixed it. The last HDD is now gone and here we are now...

@Ellanios

He traveled somewhere for education if i'm correct. He told me that on Steam. He will be back soon. :)

1 пользователей читают эту тему

0 пользователей, 1 гостей, 0 скрытых