Photo

Fixed map rotation proposal (please read)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 porov

porov

Pro

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:38 AM

I hope I don't piss too many people off, but this is for the good of everybody.

Recently many players have been complaining about people often abusing the rtv command and not letting them play their favorite maps. Another complaint has been having to play the same maps for a disproportionately long periods of time. Yet another issue is the map vote, which comes out of nowhere with a loud sound and can distract a player and be very annoying.

The solution to the 2 problems listed above can be resolved by implementing a fixed map rotation, as always I am suggesting to have this tested out only on 1 server first.

Here is the proposed map rotation pattern:

Popular Map A
Unpopular Map A
Popular Map B
Unpopular Map B
Popular Map C
Unpopular Map C
-----------------
Popular Map A
Unpopular Map D
Popular Map B
Unpopular Map E
Popular Map C
Unpopular Map F
-----------------
Popular Map A
Unpopular Map G
Popular Map B
Unpopular Map H
Popular Map C
Unpopular Map I

As you will notice The popular maps A, B and C are present 3 times each. This ensures that these maps are played more often. The reason for that is very simple, they are popular thus the demand for them is greater.

The unpopular maps on the other hand will be played less frequently.

Another point to address is that Popular and Unpopular maps will alternate. This will make for more streamlined gameplay. Players often get bored after playing 2 or even 3 unknown/unpopular maps in a row, this map rotation will guarantee this does not happen.

The sample pattern listed here is good for 3 popular and 9 unpopular maps which equals 12 total maps. If i am not mistakes the server has about 16 maps in total which equals to 4 popular and 12 unpopular maps using the same 3 cycle pattern.

As an optional feature if possible it would be great to enable 'NEXTMAP' vote. Of course if such a vote is enabled it must have a much higher passing threshold (greater than 70% +-) than the current rtv vote in order to address the complaint mentioned in the beginning.

Please post your opinions on the subject.

EDIT - Reasons why map voting results do not fairly represent the common interest:

1 - Players that have just joined in are allowed to vote, they might want to play a map that was recently played by players who have been playing for longer.

2 - When popular maps such as dust 2 are in the vote all other maps get disregarded.

3 - Many players do not vote at all (me included).

4 - Very often votes are registered by accident, such as changing weapon by using the number keys(1-9) while a vote is in progress.

5 - The rtv command is triggered too easily. A minority could easily trigger it. This is obviously against the common interest. A clan for example (if they have enough members) can easily change the map at will.
Posted Image

#2 porov

porov

Pro

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:51 AM

Alternate map rotation pattern (more advanced)

Map Ranked 1
Map Ranked 10
Map Ranked 2
Map Ranked 9
Map Ranked 3
Map Ranked 8
Map Ranked 4
Map Ranked 7
Map Ranked 5
Map Ranked 6
-------------
Map Ranked 1
Map Ranked 2
Map Ranked 3
Map Ranked 8
Map Ranked 4
Map Ranked 7
Map Ranked 5
Map Ranked 6
-------------
Map Ranked 1
Map Ranked 2
Map Ranked 3
Map Ranked 4
Map Ranked 5
Map Ranked 6
-------------
Map Ranked 1
Map Ranked 2
Map Ranked 3
Map Ranked 4

Here is how it all goes: first cycle all maps are played, every next cycle the 2 least popular maps are removed.

This pattern could be even better, because the amount of times a map appears is tied directly to it's rank (popularity). One disadvantage is that it is not alternating as the other pattern.

For the current map ranks visit: http://css.setti.inf...o-pub4/maps.php
Posted Image

#3 Guest_CC:)

Guest_CC:)
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

Though i am not playing counter now for 2 weeks, not regular now, but may i say some few words here, i think this proposal is very bad. :thumbdown: I dont want to wait for the map, which i want to play till the end of the day...and actually how we will change unpopular map if rtv is not availbale anymore?, for instance nightfever is not liked by nabz, should they wait for another 20 mins or they will leave the server (the last one is more likely to happen)? Or in case the map is de_dust2, which is liked by pros and nabz too, how we will leave it for another game cos often on setti it is played 2 times in a raw (teams swap)? hm?

CC:)

#4 porov

porov

Pro

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:13 AM

If players don't like a map they can vote nextmap, as simple as that.

Even though a player who leaves the server just cause he doesn't know map is total noob. And besides I have already told admins to remove shit maps such as nightfever.
Posted Image

#5 CC:)

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationMoscow, RU

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:33 AM

Many newbies do not know how to turn on console in game and you are talking abt commands in chat now...and what abt teams swap? Shall we all type "nextmap" to extend the map?

PS. i liked nightfever after 3-4h playing on std maps :thumbup:, good map, was it removed Porov cos you told that? During 2 weeks you are trying to change server and every coner of it while it lives fine for years now without you.
We must protect the forest for those who can’t speak.

#6 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:35 AM

What's wrong with current mapcycle?

Edit: Ok, I read the second chapter. I haven't heard of those complaints. Post some examples.
Posted Image

#7 porov

porov

Pro

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:37 AM

Well its not true what you are saying. Servers are never full. I know this could be related to no-steam.

Before the updates all the servers were operating close to max capacity, mainly because of the large user base of non-steam players.

Now that many of them are gone the user base has become much smaller. If improvements to the servers are brought in we could be able to attract more regular steam players. I am trying but I only get attacked.
Posted Image

#8 porov

porov

Pro

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

TO: Killer

Well if you look in the logs you will notice that on more than several occasions players have posted comments such as:

"Damn vote"
"Vote killed me"
"Don't rtv idiots"
"ALL RTV"
"Boring map"
"I am tired of this map"
"Always same map"

About the map rotation, there are some minor things to be fixed. I can make it better if you want it. Again I remind you I am proposing this as a experimental feature. Just try it out. After all we are trying to make the servers better.
Posted Image

#9 CC:)

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationMoscow, RU

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

@porov

Servers are not full, cos of update and updating!!! Many people still play on v.34 versions like those who still play on cs 1.6 servers. At least russian v.34 servers are full all, impossible to get there a slot for myself without waiting for some 5 mins :mrgreen: People are tired from these new and new updates.

On one russian css community (abt 20000 users) was voting about update: abt 35% voted that they dont like new CSS, abt 15% voted that they donno abt this update. :gun:

As for the map change, there are always people moaning abt current map (cos they choose wrong team maybe and loose). All the time.
We must protect the forest for those who can’t speak.

#10 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

We've tried many different map rotations. Current one is the best. CC's points about your suggestions were good.

It is very difficult to improve gameplay. We've had all sorts of experiments. You also make it seem as if map A is either good or bad. How about average maps like de_nuke. Nuke could be better but it could much worse too. Ranking maps isn't simple either. If you rank them by online time then dust2, dust, aztec and office will be on top. If you force different map rotation then other maps will get more online time.

"Damn vote"
"Vote killed me"
"Don't rtv idiots"
"ALL RTV"
"Boring map"
"I am tired of this map"
"Always same map"

People who say these things want to change from dust2 to dust or aztec or office. And from aztec to dust2 or dust or office. Etc.
Posted Image

#11 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

One thing which makes players play more is to allow two extends on a map. My own opinion is that playing two 10 minute extends is too much. One extend is enough.

Changing server settings is possible but changing them to get more players might not be the goal. Setting up 24/7 dust2/dust/aztec/italy would probably be more popular than the current mapcycle. Or 24/7 fy_poolday AWP / fastrespawn.

Quality over quantity.
Posted Image

#12 jap3c

jap3c

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

Killer this is to much!!

WTF is going on????

And what is this autobalance on setti 1 ?!! people are going crazy!!!
why change autobalance on setti 1 and not on 2-4 first ??

And put nightfever back !!!its my favorite new map!

POROV U are playing 2 mounts and u think u know whats good for us?????

#13 porov

porov

Pro

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:17 AM

Trying to help, I gave you my arguments if you don't agree with them OK.

Not forcing anything upon anyone.
Posted Image

#14 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

Killer this is to much!!

WTF is going on????

And what is this autobalance on setti 1 ?!! people are going crazy!!!
why change autobalance on setti 1 and not on 2-4 first ??

And put nightfever back !!!its my favorite new map!

POROV U are playing 2 mounts and u think u know whats good for us?????

I accidentally put the setting in wrong config file and that is why autobalance it wasn't enabled on Setti #2 - #4.

Nightfever is in mapcycle.
Posted Image

#15 fofo

fofo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

Next Porov will suggest to enable quake sounds. Or intro song. Or admin skins. Or no rush / camp plugins. Or no awp on setti 1! Like he did on setti 4. Awp should be back on #4 cuz that's where the regulars play in the morning. It's the only almost full server in the morning. How will those noobs on #4 will learn to use the awp ? Just because Botov can't handle it ? Uhm, i think i found myself a new guineea pig to play with it :D
Think before you speak before you drive me mad.

#16 b00bs

b00bs

Wickedsick Member

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

Next Porov will suggest to enable quake sounds. Or intro song. Or admin skins. Or no rush / camp plugins. Or no awp on setti 1! Like he did on setti 4. Awp should be back on #4 cuz that's where the regulars play in the morning. It's the only almost full server in the morning. How will those noobs on #4 will learn to use the awp ? Just because Botov can't handle it ? Uhm, i think i found myself a new guineea pig to play with it :D

it's full because noobs likes no-awp :) , btw auto is disabled too?

#17 Gringo13

Gringo13

Hell's janitor

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Location9th Circle (still fixing the heater)

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

it's full because noobs likes no-awp :) , btw auto is disabled too?

NO that's the funny thing :D :gun:

#18 porov

porov

Pro

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

I am making reasonable demands that will benefit the server(s).
Posted Image

#19 fofo

fofo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, well, we kinda don't like intruders. You'll need more than 2 months to have a say. Untill then you'll just end up bashed on every post. And reasonable demands? What reasonable demands? Removing awp? Removing nightfever which has been in mapcycle since 2006 ? And off topic: What was that thing calling breezer an imigrant? Aren't you an imigrant?

Think before you speak before you drive me mad.

#20 Guest_breezer

Guest_breezer
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

If players don't like a map they can vote nextmap, as simple as that.

Even though a player who leaves the server just cause he doesn't know map is total noob. And besides I have already told admins to remove shit maps such as nightfever.

Nightfever is one of the best maps I've ever played ,perfect for rush no awp whores good balanced . As far as I remember u have to be rusher if u wanna join porov clan ,so why r u complaining about this map? Plus u got ur awp free setti #4 but u still play and annoy players at the main server.

Talking about my nationality ,I'm Lithuanian and live in Ireland, any issues with that POROV? Why r u spamming crap on my profile ? what do u want ? looking for attention?

porov
Today, 08:43 AM
How did this douchebag get a positive reputation.

RedWish
23 Aug 2010 - 11:59
suck my dick gay.
If I'm banned doesn't mean I have to watch ur bullshit clear?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users