45 replies to this topic

#1 Zbang

Zbang

One of us

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

Theology unnecessary, Stephen Hawking tells CNN

(CNN) -- Theology is unnecessary. So says Stephen Hawking, the world-famous physicist who controversially argues in a new book that God did not create the universe.

"God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator."

"Science is increasingly answering questions that used to be the province of religion," Hawking replied. "The scientific account is complete. Theology is unnecessary."

Full Story

#2 CC:)

CC:)

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationMoscow, RU

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:20 AM

Sience still cannot explain the Universe's expansion with co-existance of gravitation...So this book is just another commercial project, which will be sold out good cos of good advirtisment...Physics got stucked somewhere between 70-80th in last century.
We must protect the forest for those who can’t speak.

#3 Ghost

Ghost

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:29 AM

Theology still cannot explain the Universe's expansion with co-existance of gravitation... It is just another commercial project... Theology got stucked somewhere 0.

Hawking has been promoting his new books and TV series some 6 months now. He comes up with stuff about aliens and gods and gets 5 minutes in the news.

#4 CC:)

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationMoscow, RU

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:42 AM

Theology still cannot explain the Universe's expansion with co-existance of gravitation... It is just another commercial project... Theology got stucked somewhere 0.

Agree with you, Bible was created by people, which doesnt explain this. But even this doesnt deny the existance of God though, i dont believe that Universe was created spontaneously or happened by happy occasion. :mrgreen:

#5 fofo

fofo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:03 PM

We'll never know the answer, cope with it. Maybe the future generations will, but we, for sure, won't.
Think before you speak before you drive me mad.

#6 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

We'll never know the answer, cope with it.

Why not?
Posted Image

#7 Ghost

Ghost

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

Agree with you, Bible was created by people, which doesnt explain this. But even this doesnt deny the existance of God though, i dont believe that Universe was created spontaneously or happened by happy occasion. :mrgreen:

That's about what Hawking says in the interview. He says that Universe can be explained by science. It doesn't mean god doesn't exist. It's just that the birth and existence of all can be explained by science. There's no need for god there.

#8 Gringo13

Gringo13

Hell's janitor

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Location9th Circle (still fixing the heater)

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:13 PM

A lot of things can't be explained with science yet, for that mater neither with religion.

Q: why is there universe?
A: Cos god created it <_<

not really solid

@CC
I it generally believed that universe is expanding (cos of the big bang) and it will continue to do so indefinitely because the average mass of the universe is not big enough for the gravity to pull back the stars (stars are generally moving away from each other, thus the expansion)

I am not sure what were u trying to say, cos your statement is not true.

#9 Gringo13

Gringo13

Hell's janitor

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Location9th Circle (still fixing the heater)

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:35 PM

Sience still cannot explain the Universe's expansion with co-existance of gravitation

Who told u that? Or in what context?

Because your statement is not true.

There is nothing wrong with gravity and universe expansion being there, the question arises whether the universe will expand forever, it is generally believed it will, since the average mass of the universe is below some constant necessary for gravity to pull together the stars which are speeding away from each other (the expansion)

#10 CC:)

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationMoscow, RU

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

That's about what Hawking says in the interview. He says that Universe can be explained by science. It doesn't mean god doesn't exist. It's just that the birth and existence of all can be explained by science. There's no need for god there.

Oh, i couldnt understand that English from interview, too fast for me :)

#11 NekiNeznanec

NekiNeznanec

Expert

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSlovenija

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:53 PM

A lot of things can't be explained with science yet, for that mater neither with religion.

Q: why is there universe?
A: Cos god created it <_<

not really solid

The difference is in purpose. Religion doesn't even try to explain these things. World was created somehow, what is important is the human part in it.
Bible says earth was created in 7 days. Of course it wasn't but that's not the point. How do you imagine some writers, a few thousand years back to come up with any scientific explanation. Further more, imagine simple farmer in Palestine in 1000 BC, understanding importance of his living and his purpose through some scientific shit? Meaningless.
Stultorum infinitus est numerus.

#12 CC:)

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationMoscow, RU

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

Gringo, i am sorry, my English is too poor to talk on sientific topic, but i have tryed to find that news from Astronomy, dated 1998, it was a sensation, ...Which says "In 1998, published observations .... suggested that the expansion of the Universe is accelerating." Here is Wiki page http://en.wikipedia....iki/Dark_energy

#13 Guest_nabijemtenakurac

Guest_nabijemtenakurac
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:45 PM

From:http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/invented.html
Atheists commonly claim that humans invented God to satisfy some of his fear of death, therefore, wishing God into existence. According to the theory, man realized his limitations and fears and projected an image of God to calm these fears. In short, God is what man wishes to be - a kind of super-man. This model matches the gods of the pagan religions quite well, and possibly explains the origins of these religions. For example, in nearly all pagan religions, the gods look like the people - Ethiopian gods were dark-skinned whereas Greek gods tended to be white. So, aren't all gods just inventions of the people who claim them?

I think this is the only truth about gods!Problem is we live in 2010 and people are still talking about gods
and religious bullshit.

And universe is fucking to big and old and people are to young to tell how exactly everything happened. Spontaneously or because of some happy start is not an option CC.

Science is the key!Bible is bullshit!

#14 NekiNeznanec

NekiNeznanec

Expert

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSlovenija

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:44 PM

Only a low educated man would say this. Science is key to what? Science makes you happy, makes your life whole ? You don't mind all your family and friends hating you, as long as you have the latest plasma ?

Think people. I'm not trying to sell you any religious stuff here. Just don't hold to science as it won't help you with the true problems in your life. And I'm not saying you have to be straight religious or something, not at all. Everyone has to figure it out for himself. But no science will save you inside.

#15 Guest_nabijemtenakurac

Guest_nabijemtenakurac
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:38 AM

I mean bible will not help you to understand how universe works!
I think science is NOT Latest plasma.I dont care for this staff!(YAKUMO19" is the best!)
And yes science makes me happy

? You don't mind all your family and friends hating you, as long as you have the latest plasma ?
lol

"Everyone has to figure it out for himself" WTF?
Bible wont help you either neki!

I JUST DONT LISTEN TO ANY OF THIS RELIGIUS THINGS LIKE IS NOT HERE ON PLANET AT ALL
BECAUSE IS JUST CRAP!
sry for previous reply

#16 Perplexer

Perplexer

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 668 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:51 AM

Looks like we're gonna be friends after all, Richard. I mean, nabij.

These bible hogging brainwashed nutjobs are the real scary part in this world. If someone's gonna hurt you or kill you, it'll most likely be a religious lunatic.

When I get bored I often amuse myself by imagining what would happen if we had two planets. On one we would put all the atheists and on the other we would put all the religious nutjobs. We would then wait 1000 years and check each planet's progress. In my oppinion, on the first planet we would have Star Trek and on the second we would have an extinct species. :-)

#17 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

I've been thinking about the same but on the same planet. Religious nutjobs vs. scientists. I'm not sure about the outcome, having extinct species on one planet is an option. :-)
Posted Image

#18 Perplexer

Perplexer

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 668 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

Zbang, that video is badly edited. You might want to replace it with a more complete copy, for example:

The answer at 2:45 is legendary!

#19 Guest_Saatanantaja

Guest_Saatanantaja
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

Only a low educated man would say this. Science is key to what? Science makes you happy, makes your life whole ? You don't mind all your family and friends hating you, as long as you have the latest plasma ?

Think people. I'm not trying to sell you any religious stuff here. Just don't hold to science as it won't help you with the true problems in your life. And I'm not saying you have to be straight religious or something, not at all. Everyone has to figure it out for himself. But no science will save you inside.

Science is key to how stuff works. The Bible obviously isn't. I don't try to "find help to my true problems" from science.
I also don't need the Bible to tell me not to treat people badly or not to kill.

I think the Bible does help a lot of people.

#20 NekiNeznanec

NekiNeznanec

Expert

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSlovenija

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:45 PM

I mean bible will not help you to understand how universe works!
I think science is NOT Latest plasma.I dont care for this staff!(YAKUMO19" is the best!)
And yes science makes me happy

Science makes you happy? I'm glad, but you know, same things don't make happy all people.

? You don't mind all your family and friends hating you, as long as you have the latest plasma ?
lol

"Everyone has to figure it out for himself" WTF?

Repeat after me and put some short phrase at the end.

I've been thinking about the same but on the same planet. Religious nutjobs vs. scientists. I'm not sure about the outcome, having extinct species on one planet is an option. :-)

Religious nutjobs? Do I smell racism?
And I didn't even say you have to be religious. Have any of you anti-bible folks even read a single chapter of a book similar to bible ? You probably don't imagine how much of the worldwide literature found its sources in that book? And I'm not talking about gazillions of crappy religious books. I'm talking true literature. Also it's been a psychological and sociological guide to West culture that, as far as I know, is leading the world. And also, it brought Europe together to stand against Eastern invaders from Asia.

And Don't mistake Bible for Christian Church Institution. IT had many flows in it's history (as well as the good stuff which everyone avoids to mention when bashing)

Outcome: Scientists would invent all the good stuff, but would die due to lack of reproduction. And the kids that they would have had, would turn psycho in a lot of cases cause scientist parents wouldn't have time for stupidities like parenting and teaching them life values.

Science is wonderful thing. I never said we don't need it, we need it to progress. So don't think even for a second that I'm putting science on the second place. But sadly enough, humans are emotional creatures and we need more than just science to exist. Moral and ethics are very important in this world too. If you deny that, you can say China and Germany are same shit. Both countries are significant industrial countries but a human life in China means almost nothing, people work for a few pennies so that their science and industry can progress.

Where's Bible in that you will say. Now where did the moral values that are so well (in comparison to other world) established in Western Europe and North America, come from ?

And for you to understand that I don't want to say that religion is the key: I left out South America (Brazil is the greatest catholic country in the world) and Eastern Europe. Why? Because they took the bad stuff from the religion: Fanaticism. They just pray to God on sunday and then go shoot ppl on Monday, probably even in the name of the religion. Now that's nutjobs.

Enough for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users