My server problem

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kenkesey8

kenkesey8

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:38 AM

Hi all! I decided to make my CS:S server a couple of weeks ago, cos I have 4-5 who I can play with, but only my machine is capable of hosting. Deviance's release worked fine for two or three weeks, but since I wasn't able to install plugins for that one, and even the server browser wasn't working, I decided to switch to the setti release. I can tell, that the server browser and plugin handling are both fully working. And now the problem: Somewhy, when we first tried to play this one, nobody saw my server (by ip adress). Now I managed to forward the 27015 port on my router, but still nothing, only with the deviance version. I tried to host a listenserver, and a dedicated one too, but still the same problem. I'm running mattie's eventscripts, and a super admin, sv_lan is 0,and the server is secure, but even if I try to search it with the server ip, it doesn't find anything. I tried adding it to the master server on the main page, it can't connect to it, either. However, if I trie it with an older version, it works. It is VERY annoying, and I don't have a single idea what to do. If you need any other information, ask. Thank you in advance.

#2 Guest_*

Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:50 AM

Hi all! I decided to make my CS:S server a couple of weeks ago, cos I have 4-5 who I can play with, but only my machine is capable of hosting. Deviance's release worked fine for two or three weeks, but since I wasn't able to install plugins for that one, and even the server browser wasn't working, I decided to switch to the setti release. I can tell, that the server browser and plugin handling are both fully working. And now the problem: Somewhy, when we first tried to play this one, nobody saw my server (by ip adress). Now I managed to forward the 27015 port on my router, but still nothing, only with the deviance version. I tried to host a listenserver, and a dedicated one too, but still the same problem. I'm running mattie's eventscripts, and a super admin, sv_lan is 0,and the server is secure, but even if I try to search it with the server ip, it doesn't find anything. I tried adding it to the master server on the main page, it can't connect to it, either. However, if I trie it with an older version, it works. It is VERY annoying, and I don't have a single idea what to do. If you need any other information, ask. Thank you in advance.

Go to the console and type connect "your ip" in console

#3 kenkesey8

kenkesey8

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:10 AM

Thank you so much! Now I can connect to my server, but I can't connect to it, with another pc, cos an error message comes up, and says 'unexpected authentication protocol'. Is it because that pc's running a different version that the server?. And, sadly there are other problems: When I connect to my server, It fails to load half of the textures, so I can only see a pink-black checked world, what is quite funny :P, but do you know how to fix it? Oh, and unfortunately it is still impossible, to add it to the masterserver's list, because it doesn't find a server only from an ip adress... Double thanks for the help :)

#4 <MJ>

<MJ>

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:38 AM

Here's what you should do:
As you want to create a dedicated server create another folder for it and copy the game to it
And you must edit rev.ini for dedicated server to work properly, leave everything at default and change only "#ClientDLL=" to -> "ClientDLL=" , then you will see server in "LAN" tab.
This will be your dedicated game server and you should play the game from original folder

#5 Guest_Odium

Guest_Odium
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:46 AM

Thank you so much! Now I can connect to my server, but I can't connect to it, with another pc, cos an error message comes up, and says 'unexpected authentication protocol'. Is it because that pc's running a different version that the server?. And, sadly there are other problems: When I connect to my server, It fails to load half of the textures, so I can only see a pink-black checked world, what is quite funny :P, but do you know how to fix it? Oh, and unfortunately it is still impossible, to add it to the masterserver's list, because it doesn't find a server only from an ip adress... Double thanks for the help :)

yeh, you won't want to play the game form the same folder install as you're serving the game from.

I've had a v34 server running for a while, this is what I used/did to get it working.

My CS:S Server Setup Guide

#6 kenkesey8

kenkesey8

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

Wow, thx for the help. Than, if I duplicate the game and start the server from there, and play the game from an other folder,
it will work on the internet too, or just on a LAN network? Just asking, because I would like to play the game with 4-5 friends over
the internet. It's not necessary to get listed on the masterserver, and things like that.

#7 kenkesey8

kenkesey8

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

I tried putting it in another directory, and now it works perfectly for me, but it doesn't show up in the LAN part of the browser, and it drops my other computer saying some kind of authentication error. Is it because the server uses the Orange Box version, but the client uses an older version (deviance 01.01.2010, I guess)? Sorry for my crappy english ;)

#8 <MJ>

<MJ>

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:28 PM

Yes you have to update the game, The server and the clients should have the same version or else it wont work.
You can do that by going to this link you will find the game, the patches of the latest version of orangebox and FAQs.
If you want your server to be listed in the master servers then submit your IP address on css.setti.info, You will find the IP submission form in the bottom of the page

#9 kenkesey8

kenkesey8

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:55 PM

Thank you, it was really helpful. Now the only thing I don't know, is this: I can only join my server from other computers by writing connect [IP]. If I try to add it in the server browser by ip, nothing happens. I also tried adding it to the masterserver, but it didn't manage to find my server either. What could be the problem? Thanks for your help.

#10 <MJ>

<MJ>

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:44 PM

Thank you, it was really helpful. Now the only thing I don't know, is this: I can only join my server from other computers by writing connect [IP]. If I try to add it in the server browser by ip, nothing happens. I also tried adding it to the masterserver, but it didn't manage to find my server either. What could be the problem? Thanks for your help.

If you want your server to get listed in master servers you need to keep your server 24/7 online after submission of IP and have to wait because it doesn't happen in minutes, You have to wait atleast a day or you can just add the ip in the favourites then you don't have to type it again.

#11 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

You have to wait atleast a day or you can just add the ip in the favourites then you don't have to type it again.

The scanner can scan your server in minutes but it's not guaranteed. Waiting 24 hours gives server scanner 24 hours time period to scan the server. That is why I usually recommend server admins to wait 24 hours. Most of the time it takes 10 - 20 minutes for server to appear in the list. I don't want impatient server admins to post at forums on such a short notice so that's also why waiting 24 hours is mandatory if the server doesn't appear on the list.
Posted Image

#12 kenkesey8

kenkesey8

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

You're misunderstanding me. It's not necessary for me to get listed on the masterserver, because I can't run my server 24/7. I only want to be able to find my server by IP adress, in-game, and unfortunately I can't, because it doesn't find anything on my IP. Or, the other version, that I'm misunderstanding something... If I write my correct server adress in the in-game server browser, than does it try to connect to the server, or just searches the server database on the masterserver? Asking because if I write the connect command in the console, and than my correct adress, it succesfully connects to the server. Probably it's just that I'm stupid and misunderstand everything, but could you explain to me, how is this possible? You guys helped me a lot already, thank you for that. Aaand, sorry for my bad english, if you don't understand something I wrote, ask.

#13 <MJ>

<MJ>

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

You're misunderstanding me. It's not necessary for me to get listed on the masterserver, because I can't run my server 24/7. I only want to be able to find my server by IP adress, in-game, and unfortunately I can't, because it doesn't find anything on my IP. Or, the other version, that I'm misunderstanding something... If I write my correct server adress in the in-game server browser, than does it try to connect to the server, or just searches the server database on the masterserver? Asking because if I write the connect command in the console, and than my correct adress, it succesfully connects to the server. Probably it's just that I'm stupid and misunderstand everything, but could you explain to me, how is this possible? You guys helped me a lot already, thank you for that. Aaand, sorry for my bad english, if you don't understand something I wrote, ask.

You must edit rev.ini for dedicated server to work properly, leave everything at default and change only "#ClientDLL=" to -> "ClientDLL=" , then you will see server in "LAN" tab.
And add your ip in the favourites list so you don't have to type it again.

#14 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

@ kenkesey
Masterserver doesn't always list servers which aren't up 24/7. If your server is down now and the scanner notices it then the next scan will be delayed. If your server is still down when the scanner tries to scan it then next scanning is delayed even more. The scanning frequency goes from a few minutes up to two weeks. If your server is down for two weeks then it's marked as "permanently down" and won't be scanned again. In that case you need to submit the server again in the form at the bottom of the main page.

When you press "refresh" in in-game serverbrowser Setti masterserver sends you the current serverlist of server which are known to be online. For masterserver to know that your server is online the scanner needs to scan it to confirm that it is online. Because you don't run your server 24/7 the scanner won't be scanning your server as often. In practice this means that your random server might not be on the list very often. That kind of random servers are useless anyway, people want to play on dedicated 24/7 servers.
Posted Image

#15 kenkesey8

kenkesey8

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

I owe you, <MJ>, you totally solved my problem. Now the server browser finds my server by ip. It really wasn't obvious to do that. Thank you.

#16 kenkesey8

kenkesey8

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

Also, thank you for your help too, k1ller, but that was not my problem, I didn't want to get listed on the masterserver, just to be able to add my server by ip to the favourites, and I was not able to do that until I uncommented the ClientDLL line in file rev.ini.
Thank you for all of you help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users