Memory could not be read when joining a server

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 th0mas

th0mas

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

Hello, I have installed CSS Setti 2010 and the latest update.
However, after loading when clicking "Join Server" I receive

The instruction at 0x119fda94 referenced 0x0cac8998 The memory couldn't be read.

Just as the welcome screen to the server appears.

Yes, I meet the system requirements.
I have no idea what to do..

#2 Selena

Selena

No Nonsense Taker

• Moderators - Minecraft admin
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSetti 3's Kindergarten

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:41 PM

Make sure your system has been updated. Get the latest GFX Card driver, Latest Service pack. Give that a try, if that doesn't work run a memory test such as - My link Write back if you still encounter problems.

#3 th0mas

th0mas

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:42 PM

Make sure your system has been updated. Get the latest GFX Card driver, Latest Service pack. Give that a try, if that doesn't work run a memory test such as - My link Write back if you still encounter problems.

I don't understand how to execute that program, or even know which package to download on the download page. I mount the .iso but can't find a setup program or anything like that.

It is not my GFX card driver, it is the latest. And just to say I played the DiGiTALZONE version just before installing this in my own server just fine on quite high settings you could say even though my GFX is old (BUT compatible.) I dumped DZ because it was a pain to find all the patches for it and it was unplayable unless in my own server. I have windows XP with SP3.

EDIT: OS is windows.

#4 Selena

Selena

No Nonsense Taker

• 702 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

Very simple to download and run. You don't need to install it. Click on Free Download - then look at the bottom of the page and you will see "Memtest86 3.4 Release (27/dec/2007)"

Click on the first link - "Download - Pre-compiled memtest86 v3.4a installable from windows and DOS"

Then it will download and just run it my double clicking rawrite. Don't worry, the file is completely safe and free of viruses.

This test isn't only for your GFX card but also for ram as the error message you got is related to memory.

Good luck

#5 th0mas

th0mas

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

Very simple to download and run. You don't need to install it. Click on Free Download - then look at the bottom of the page and you will see "Memtest86 3.4 Release (27/dec/2007)"

Click on the first link - "Download - Pre-compiled memtest86 v3.4a installable from windows and DOS"

Then it will download and just run it my double clicking rawrite. Don't worry, the file is completely safe and free of viruses.

This test isn't only for your GFX card but also for ram as the error message you got is related to memory.

Good luck

Sorry, but I now I do not understand how to run this correctly. I open rawrite.exe up and it asks for a "image source file" name to be put into the command prompt. What is this? I tried to just type Local Disk (C:) but it comes up with a message and a second later the command prompt closes so I cannot read it.

#6 Selena

Selena

No Nonsense Taker

• 702 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

It shouldn't come up with a command prompt. Try this... memtest this one should be more straight forward that editing script.

#7 th0mas

th0mas

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:23 AM

It shouldn't come up with a command prompt. Try this... memtest this one should be more straight forward that editing script.

I scanned for like 4 hours.. no errors. I have a feeling this isn't my computers problem but something with the program

#8 th0mas

th0mas

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:39 PM

Bumpmasterflex

someone help

#9 Selena

Selena

No Nonsense Taker

• 702 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:29 PM

sorry for not replying Thomas

Have you tried re-installing the game? If that doesn't work, run the game and open up task manager and see what your memory is doing whilst the game is running.
let me know what percent of your RAM is being used. If its above 45% then I would say that's your problem.

If not try a registry cleaner, some parts of the game file may not be found if you have duplicate copies of certain important files.

#10 ducky

ducky

One of us

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Locationbehind ur mom

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

th0mas screw memtest, launching CSS envolves certain voodoo known only by the most experienced players. True story.

In my experience holding the middle finger, holding the breath and/or not moving while CSS is launching sometimes works. Other powerfull tools include repatching the game without reinstalling, reinstalling the game, installing onto another location or installing new drivers for GFX/Mainboard (k1ller ©) or even getting latest update for your printer might solve the problem.. this might seem like I'm fucking with you, but trust me I've been there..

Tell us how it works out for you.

#11 th0mas

th0mas

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:50 AM

I'll try those things. Selena, I am using less than 45%.

Just to add, I am looking forward to a new Graphics card on my birthday (17th) and Christmas(either a GeForce 6 series or 9, seem good priced) and 2 GB or RAM so maybe that will compliment this problem (most likely the RAM if it does.) And I may also get "The Orange Box", and depending on how much I like the 3 games will be whether I tell myself "Forget Counter Strike" ahah

#12 Selena

Selena

No Nonsense Taker

• 702 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

New Graphics card and RAM always helps. It might just fix your problem :)
Let us know if it does.

The orange box is excellent but mine got all scratched up and wouldn't work anymore so I settled for CSS

#13 th0mas

th0mas

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:31 AM

OK I would like to consult you all on my little predicament here.
1. Apparently, I have 3 PCI slots in my CPU and 1 AGP slot. My current integrated graphics card is in the AGP slot (this is all according to SIW [System Info for Windows.]) I have 1 available AGP slot. If I were to purchase a PCI card, it would fit in this slot, correct?
2. If it will work, I should remove the card in the AGP slot, correct?
3. Also, according to this program, I have 2 memory slots, but I have no idea what kind of RAM to purchase, because this program doesn't seem to specify that.

#14 th0mas

th0mas

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:19 AM

I'll try those things. Selena, I am using less than 45%.

Just to add, I am looking forward to a new Graphics card on my birthday (17th) and Christmas(either a GeForce 6 series or 9, seem good priced) and 2 GB or RAM so maybe that will compliment this problem (most likely the RAM if it does.) And I may also get "The Orange Box", and depending on how much I like the 3 games will be whether I tell myself "Forget Counter Strike" ahah

#15 Selena

Selena

No Nonsense Taker

• 702 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

Okay... A PCI card will not fit into an AGP slot.

I don't know what motherboard you have but Google it and see what kind of RAM it takes: DDR, DDR 2 or DDR3.

#16 th0mas

th0mas

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:06 PM

Okay... A PCI card will not fit into an AGP slot.

I don't know what motherboard you have but Google it and see what kind of RAM it takes: DDR, DDR 2 or DDR3.

What. I said my current graphics card is taking up and AGP slot and it says out of 3 PCI slots, I have one free. So would a PCI card fit in that free slot? Nothing about PCI in an AGP...

K

#17 Selena

Selena

No Nonsense Taker

• 702 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:28 AM

That's what you asked...

"I have 1 available AGP slot. If I were to purchase a PCI card, it would fit in this slot, correct?"

#18 th0mas

th0mas

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:41 PM

That's what you asked...

"I have 1 available AGP slot. If I were to purchase a PCI card, it would fit in this slot, correct?"

Oops I forgot to say that my current integrated card is in the AGP slot, and there are 3 PCI slots. One of those PCI slots is available. A PCI card should fit in the available PCI slot if I take out the current card in the AGP slot, correct? Or since the current card is in an AGP slot, it only supports AGP. Or they just put a cheap GeForce 4 card in an AGP slot 'cause it would cost less. Lol

K I got 2 memory slots and the max is 3 GiGs.
Memory type: Synchronous RAM [SDRAM]
speed: 133 MHz
Data width: 64 Bit
Total width: 64 bit
Form Factor: DIMM
Which of this stuff is relevant when purchasing the 2 GiGs of RAM? I really don't want to end up buying the wrong hardware lol

#19 th0mas

th0mas

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:31 PM

A bit of an update.

I purchased a new graphics card and the maximum amount of RAM for my system. But, I noticed one little thing regarding the GPU after I ordered it--the required voltage of the power supply. So, now I must order one of those (if I don't want my GPU to burn out my motherboard, that is.) *Sigh*

I also downloaded Portal:First Slice, mostly as a test of the current graphics card. When I torrented "The Orange Box", all the games gave me a message.

You must have at least a DirectX 7 supported card to play.

However, I have a supported card.. I am kinda running DirectX 9.0c right now.. and that doesn't explain how I ran CS:S later on (DiGiTALZONE) with at least 20-30 FPS. I thought that something with the games engine may have been corrupted in the event of cracking the games, and it couldn't recognized my card or something. So anyway I tried Portal and it gave me another memory error! At least it should have been giving me a hardware error regarding my GPU if it didn't work. This only affects source games. I have played non-source DirectX 9.0c utilizing games fine lately. It only started happening to souece games when I downloaded CS:S (Setti), and, like stated before, I ran CS:S DiGiTALZONE without problems! To take a wild guess, I think that it has done something to my system. Something to my system that doesn't make it like source games. Whether it be in the registry, or anything like thing like that. And, Memtest86 (which from what I heard never fails) scanned 1804 % of my system--no errors found! So, I am going to see what happens when I uninstall CS:S Setti and try and run Portal:First Slice once more, just to see whether this problem truly lies in my system's RAM (not that it wouldn't be useful to add a GiG.)

#20 Selena

Selena

No Nonsense Taker

• 702 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:02 PM

have you done the usual, ie. updated driver software, update the games...?

See if your firewall is allowing these programs through. If not... add the programs to the allow list and see if that changes things at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users