• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Marioc_

Marioc_

One of us

• 127 posts
  • LocationAthens

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

Mariakoc, he was not trying B. He wasn't trying anything. He just ran in circles and camped. BTW the ban must have expired long ago.

Ghost, I can't be in both teams at the same time, but still, it's better than nothing. Maybe today I'll do it as CT. :-) Whether that gives my team an advantage could be debated. After all, there is absolutely nothing preventing CTs to rush A and roof and stop us. But that's the idea, to FORCE a change in gameplay. Maybe I'll even try it without banning anyone. But that would undoubtedly allow some total non-english speaking moron to wonder around clueless with the bomb and the whole point of teamwork would get lost. After all, the idea is to get players to learn something and use it when they play CSS again the next day. There are not enough PRO players and regulars to be able to achieve teamwork with only teamchat alone, within half mapduration time. You also have to understand that we played like this perhaps 3 or 4 times now and that's only in piranesi as T, so that's extremely rarely overall. But I do think it's a good change.

Ok Perplexer, i knoe you are right! There are too many players that instead of plant or kill someone just fucking around or teamkill, but Kardinal is not this kind of player!
think before you speak!

#22 Perplexer

Perplexer

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 668 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

Maybe I'll even try it without banning anyone. But that would undoubtedly allow some total non-english speaking moron to wonder around clueless with the bomb and the whole point of teamwork would get lost. After all, the idea is to get players to learn something and use it when they play CSS again the next day.

Heh I think if they don't understand the chatting, they don't understand the banning either. Sometimes you get it right but sometimes I got the feeling you rather play 4 vs 4 than to leave some bots and noobs in the team. The game isn't fun anymore with so few players. I dunno how you see it.

You aren't saying there are so few people on Setti lately because I ban them, are you ? Lol. I prefer a full server also but the updates took their toll. But it's improving. Last two days it was full. That does require a tactics change on most maps though. I noticed that. As for the noobs, if they don't plant for example, they don't understand the chat and they don't understand the ban then they are at a loss and we are at a loss. A ban halves that loss.

Make no mistake, I as admin am not here to be your servant. I'm not just sticking around to free you of troublemakers like TKers and cheaters. I'm also here to effect subtle changes from time to time to make the game more interesting for me and hopefully other players as well. Otherwise I'd have to start putting checks on the table for my services.

Having said that, I would of course not want to make a completely opposite effect. I'm not overdoing it, am I ? :-)

#23 Gringo13

Gringo13

Hell's janitor

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Location9th Circle (still fixing the heater)

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

Had this happened last year, it would be totally unacceptable, but since there are 5 servers, maybe it's not such a horrific idea.

Although it would be probably better if admins could switch players between servers, or at least or atleast put up some warning that they should swap or leave or get banned (for a short period ofc.).

#24 Perplexer

Perplexer

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 668 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:32 PM

And you think an admin wants to switch players around ? We want to play not to switch players. Noobs will always be around, even on server #1. I personally don't ban just any noob. I only ban ultra noobs, those who spawn flash or keep TKing for some reason. Campers and everybody else play as they play, that's how it is.

#25 NekiNeznanec

NekiNeznanec

Expert

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSlovenija

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

And you think an admin wants to switch players around ? We want to play not to switch players. Noobs will always be around, even on server #1. I personally don't ban just any noob. I only ban ultra noobs, those who spawn flash or keep TKing for some reason. Campers and everybody else play as they play, that's how it is.

Yeah I understand that and I'm also not saying you are the cause of the low number of players. I'm saying sometimes, due to lack of players, maybe you (we) should cut slack to more ultra nabs than usual. The reason is simple, we need a few players at the server just to gain more players, because you can't tell how many noobs are online when you check the server's status. You can only see the number of players and by closer look maybe the names. Me for example, the more players I see, the bigger possibility to join. And when we get to a solid number (let's say 16 or 18), admins take action if needed.
Stultorum infinitus est numerus.

#26 porov

porov

Pro

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

I agree with Neki, ban noobs only when the server is (near) full.
Posted Image

#27 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

Although it would be probably better if admins could switch players between servers, or at least or atleast put up some warning that they should swap or leave or get banned (for a short period ofc.).

We tested this kind of idea earlier but it had some technical difficulties which were resolved up to a point. Technical description of the idea is here: http://forums.srcds..../86327#pid86327

In practice the idea was that an admin or any other responsible player could just look at a noob in-game and execute a command to redirect the noob to another Setti server. The command could be binded to a one key so it'd be just one keypress and noobs would be automatically redirected to another server. It worked on test servers. :w00t:

Further review of this idea however revealed that it's basically the same as banning the person from the server. After redirecting the noob it'd be necessary to ban his IP for a short while so he doesn't just join back.

Technically easier way to implement this same behaviour is to execute that "redirect suggestion" to player and then player needs to press F3 to be actually redirected. That is something that Valve put in CS:S long ago because server admins had too much control over players' game. A plugin could then tell the person that he is banned in let's say 10 seconds unless he chooses to press F3 and play on another Setti server. For the player the end result is the same because he is forced to play on other server either way.

That is what Perplexer is doing now - his approach is just more direct to the action without the nuances. http://css.setti.inf...tyle_emoticons/default/icon_razz.gif
Posted Image

#28 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:16 PM

I've been also thinking that it'd be cool to have on-screen instructions for players what they should do. Many noobs or regular non-hardcore-players just don't realize that there is more to the game than just shooting enemies on sight.

That idea is still developing in my mind.
Posted Image

#29 breezer

breezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

I agree with Neki, ban noobs only when the server is (near) full.

So if he bans 6-8 POROV clan members (they r all n00bs) server will be emty again !?
Rush 'em n00bs ...

#30 porov

porov

Pro

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

POROV are not noobs.
Posted Image

#31 shaines

shaines

shaines

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

POROV are not noobs.

You all are noobs, accept that thing !
“You can’t believe most of the quotes You read on the internet.” - Abraham Lincoln

#32 AchiLLes

AchiLLes

Regular

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

yep...its a circumstance and you cant do anything against it :)
but I must admit that silence isnt that kind of noob like the other porovs.
but noob is noob :cheers:

#33 Zbang

Zbang

One of us

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

:lol:

mambo jumbo

I wasted all my +,- on this topic.

#34 Kardinal

Kardinal

Regular

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:48 AM

ok I got wat happened. But it wasnt me who was playing at the time, it was my cousin, i went to the bathroom and let the kid play. he's only 12 years old and he doesnt understand shit of english. I apologize for that

#35 shaines

shaines

shaines

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:19 AM

sure...
“You can’t believe most of the quotes You read on the internet.” - Abraham Lincoln

#36 Ghost

Ghost

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:53 AM

@Perplexer
You can make the team work with just chat messages. I've done it. Sometimes it doesn't work, but neither does banning. The trick is to make the messages simple and understandable and then repeat them in nice manner. For example pros do understand "BBB" when they see it in the team chat in the beginning, but noobs just think you're retarded flooder. Depending on the estimated average IQ of the noobs, I could use "Let's go B" or in the case of low IQ level retards I'd just use "Go B" :thumbup: ... oh, and did I say that these need to be repeated during the round so everybody understands that you're actually talking about the game plan. Noobs are easier to get to blindly follow you than the pros. Then when you have couple players in your chain-of-command you get more automatically.

About "ultra noobs"
In my mind these ultra noobs are players who are first time ever playing any FPS. You can see them trying to open sprite doors and stuff like that. Everybody who have played FPS knows that there are always those doors that you can't open. That is just example which reveals the level of noobiness. However, these ultra noobs are not so annoying as the more experienced noobs who know how to run, but don't know that they run faster with pistol. I usually don't want to ban players if they're noob because of lack of experience. It sucks getting banned from your first game.

#37 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:29 AM

Depending on the estimated average IQ of the noobs, I could use "Let's go B" or in the case of low IQ level retards I'd just use "Go B"

This shouldn't necessary be that way. I don't know if banning is working or not. I'm quite sure though that it'd be possible to have enough regular players who automatically know what they should be doing. They would work as a team automatically without yelling and repetition. That may require "bad behaviour banning" for some time but if it works then it's worth it. Every ban that is set for noobiness should signal other players to be more alert not to be so noob.

This thread is a sign that although player got banned for being a noob he didn't understand it until it was explained to him. So after banning a noob there should be info about why the player was banned. Otherwise it seems just too random for noobs and maybe some regulars.
Posted Image

#38 S1lent

S1lent

One of us

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:38 AM

yep...its a circumstance and you cant do anything against it :)
but I must admit that silence isnt that kind of noob like the other porovs.
but noob is noob :cheers:

:)
A girl's legs are her best friends... but even the best of friends must part.

#39 Gringo13

Gringo13

Hell's janitor

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Location9th Circle (still fixing the heater)

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:31 PM

It would be great if there were some intro-instructions, saying something like:

If you are new to this game we recommend that you switch/connect to our other servers where the gameplay is at a lower level.

And perhaps another message:

However if you decide not to take such action there is a high chance of you being banned for a short period of time.

Or something along these lines, perhaps even an option where you could see the same text in other languages

#40 Guest_killer

Guest_killer
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:41 PM

perplexer you said that you dont ban ct, while i just got banned by you for throwing a smoke bomb what was that all about and i was in ct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users