Photo

Valve's pricing model for games (eg. free TF2)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:38 AM

Here's the article that I mentioned in other threads earlier: http://blogs.forbes....-pricing-model/

The original interview is at http://www.develop-o...Newell-on-Valve

Now TF2 is free for everyone. Valve makes money out of TF2 by selling hats and other items in the Mann Co. Store. Players can decide how much stuff they want to buy and in that way how much they want to pay for the game - or the gaming experience.

It is great to see comments like this (in the interview by Gabe):

That’s just one example. Another is how much people want to pay for items. Some people are happy paying a dollar. They’ll pay a dollar over and over and over again, others want to be different, others want to run servers and create mods.

For example Setti is hosting servers, Setti community have created two maps (de_seasideresort, de_scud, there was also cs_hillresort but it never got finished), stats software has been improved, heatmaps have been developed, player rate tracking has been developed, server monitoring systems have been developed, lots of different server plugins have been made, server stats have been made. Then there are regular players who play hundreds of hours on the server because they enjoy the game.

It's good if Valve can reward that kind of loyalty somehow. Regardless whether there is a reward or not people will do these things. Apparently in TF2 people who make custom maps and unique items do get reward if other players buy their stuff at the Mann Co. Store. Gabe is the man :king:
Posted Image

#2 Da paNic KiD

Da paNic KiD

Pro

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

Sounds awesome about TF2.... or not... I have played in such games where u get the game for free but u have to pay for better uniforms and weapons. U get just basic weapons and stuff and then if u really want to enjoy the game u have to pay a little... will be great to join and see what they done :)
anyway thnx for telling k1ller :smile-thumbs-up:

#3 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

In TF2 most content is possible to get by random drops in the game itself. Players who have money can buy the stuff instead. All weapons are available without payment but most better weapons require that you get them unlocked first. Unlocks you obviously get by getting achievements.
Posted Image

#4 Ghost

Ghost

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

I have played in such games where u get the game for free but u have to pay for better uniforms and weapons.

Better uniforms?! :o No hats? :sick: :D

#5 Da paNic KiD

Da paNic KiD

Pro

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:24 PM

I have played in such games where u get the game for free but u have to pay for better uniforms and weapons.

Better uniforms?! :o No hats? :sick: :D

I mean that u get like a basic uniform and hat but everyone has them, and if u want cooler stuff then u have to buy it, like in TF2 now... I think that the reason of making TF2 this way is that the "makers" win more money... cause when u play its more funnier with cooler stuff and people actually pay for that... One game that I played "WarRock" was exatly as I sad, but instead of hats u got to pay for better weapons (I know that "It's not the gun, it's the player) but sometimes its also the gun :gun: ... but Im sure that people gonna pay for stuff at this game too :)
Im not sure if people who dont wanna pay are going to enjoy this game, but today there are hacks for almost anything so Im sure they gonna make a hack about this too :P :twisted:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users