Your mouse speed ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 AK-47

AK-47

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:05 PM

hi, what are your mouse speed settings in CSS ?
I curently have 8.0 ( reduced from 10.0 ) and can't target the head while moving.
Posted Image

#2 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:14 PM

Mouse speed (sensitivity) depends on two things. First is what is the mouse speed in Windows settings and second is the "sensitivity" setting in the game itself.

There was a good blog post or alike about this but I can't remember where it was.

The main idea was that there are 11 speed steps in Windows. When you ask "what is your sensitivity" you need to know what the speed setting is in Windows too.

I use sensitivity around 1.3 and then use buttons on my mouse to either increase or decrease Windows' mouse speed settings on the fly.
Posted Image

#3 AK-47

AK-47

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

OK, didn't think about windows mouse settings, tnx.

my win mouse sensitivity are 7 and CSS sensitivity 8.0
is that too much? or it's better to practice lower sensitivity? :whistling:
Posted Image

#4 shaines

shaines

shaines

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

Depends on how many DPI your mouse has.
I would prefer Windows sensivity 6/11 and the CSS sensivity that much that you can do:
1. turn around quickly enough
2. aim to the enemy that fast as possible
but
3. you are not too fast and can control your movement well

These are the main things that you should follow =)

// btw my settings are: Win 6/11 ; CSS 2.2-2.7 (searching the right one right now) ; 450 DPI
“You can’t believe most of the quotes You read on the internet.” - Abraham Lincoln

#5 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:44 AM

Depends on how many DPI your mouse has.

:pinch: How about telling HOW it depends?

I would prefer Windows sensivity 6/11 and the CSS sensivity that much that you can do:
1. turn around quickly enough
2. aim to the enemy that fast as possible
but
3. you are not too fast and can control your movement well

What a load of bullshit. "I prefer to have good settings that let me aim and shoot accurately and still move precisely". :pinch:

The real answer to AK-47's question is: the lower your sensitivity the better. When you realize it's too low you raise it. Turning around with low sensitivity is slow but that's something you'll learn to live with. If it's too slow you can raise the sensitivity. Set your sensitivity to around 2.0 and then raise it gradually to your needs.

Many players have their sensitivity too high. Spectate good players and see how smoothly and slowly they turn and aim, that's because they have low sensitivity.

Another thing which I noticed is that in Windows there's the "Mouse accuracy" setting panel. By default there is "Enhance pointer precision" enabled which causes mouse cursor to accelerate when you move it. That is very bad for gaming. Disable enhanced pointer precision.

My settings are 6/11 (Windows) and sensitivity 3.0 in game. But when I'm in game I often use the "decrease Windows speed setting" button on my mouse to set lower accuracy. I think it goes just one step down.

:gun:
Posted Image

#6 Guest_Speedy Mouse

Guest_Speedy Mouse
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

Instead of considering DPI, windows settings, CSS sensitivity / scalexy, etc. how about comparing in "cm per 360°"?

I need about 22cm to turn 360° and I sometime think it's too fast. :)

#7 AK-47

AK-47

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:29 AM

OK guys I do understand now, I have reduce win sens. to 6.0 and css sens. to 5.0 ( for now ) and disabled "Enhance pointer precision" in win settings,now is much much better :thumbup:

in fact disable "Enhance pointer precision" is realy a big thing.
tnx.
Posted Image

#8 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

Instead of considering DPI, windows settings, CSS sensitivity / scalexy, etc. how about comparing in "cm per 360°"?

I need about 22cm to turn 360° and I sometime think it's too fast. :)

This is the best benchmark I've heard of. :smile-thumbs-up: Easy to measure and it's independent of Windows / in-game sensitivity settings. :sorcerer:

OK guys I do understand now, I have reduce win sens. to 6.0 and css sens. to 5.0 ( for now ) and disabled "Enhance pointer precision" in win settings,now is much much better :thumbup:

in fact disable "Enhance pointer precision" is realy a big thing.
tnx.

Write down this date in your calendar. Then after one week check your skill level in Psychostats. You should see raise in your skill level. :party2:
Posted Image

#9 shaines

shaines

shaines

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

What a load of bullshit. "I prefer to have good settings that let me aim and shoot accurately and still move precisely".

Arent you saying the same things in other words???

Spectate good players and see how smoothly and slowly they turn and aim, that's because they have low sensitivity.

1. At Setti are no good players...
2. Evem some top players that play CSS in competitions international are using high sens...
“You can’t believe most of the quotes You read on the internet.” - Abraham Lincoln

#10 Guest_SM

Guest_SM
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

And what does "high" and "low" sens now mean?

Win 6/11 ; CSS 2.2-2.7; 450 DPI

Doesn't mean anything to me.

Could you please measure your sensitivity in cm/360° next game?
Aim at a corner, turn 360°, measure the distance your mouse moved.

#11 shaines

shaines

shaines

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:27 PM

learn to read SM...
He wanted to know which mouse speed settings others have...

#12 shaines

shaines

shaines

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

How about telling HOW it depends?

http://en.wikipedia....dpi#Mouse_speed
dont want to write it down myself because everyone should be that smart and type "DPI" in google.

@ k1ller:
btw when you have your mouse DPI at 100 you need to increase your ingame sens a lot...
Same when you have nouse DPI at 10000 you need to decrease your ingame sens a lot.
You cant say you should go with around 2.0 ingame.

#13 Guest_braines<=epsilon

Guest_braines<=epsilon
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

learn to read SM...
He wanted to know which mouse speed settings others have...

To quote k1ller: "What a load of bullshit."

#14 Gringo13

Gringo13

Hell's janitor

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Location9th Circle (still fixing the heater)

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

Shaines don't worry k1ller just thinks he knows everything and doesn't consider to try and understand what others are saying as long as he can persuade inexperienced fellas.

@AK-47
Don't copy their settings. Find the one that suits u best, high or low sens. in any case with practice you can learn to use it so that it will reflect your actual reflexes and accuracy
tip: don't use low sensitivity if u don't have enough space to move your mouse, a blocked mouse is an useless mouse no matter what

#15 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

How about telling HOW it depends?

http://en.wikipedia....dpi#Mouse_speed
dont want to write it down myself because everyone should be that smart and type "DPI" in google.

Basically your answer here is "Google it". You could have said that in the first post as well. That's stupid.

@ k1ller:
btw when you have your mouse DPI at 100 you need to increase your ingame sens a lot...
Same when you have nouse DPI at 10000 you need to decrease your ingame sens a lot.

You make assumptions which are not based on reality. I checked most popular mice sold on Finnish electronic store and they are all 800 - 1800 DPI. Most common gaming mice are 1600-1800 and most common mice 1000 DPI.

Definition of "a lot" is ambiguous. It doesn't mean anything. From which value I should increase/decrease it? These things should be instantly on your mind when you press "reply" button on a thread.

You cant say you should go with around 2.0 ingame.

I didn't say so. I said start with 2.0 and go upwards. Don't start from 10 and go down. That is because having too low sensitivity is better than having too high sensitivity. You'll notice it sooner or later if it's too slow. Noticing when sensitivity is too high is much more difficult. That is one reason why noob players panic and don't hit anything when they need to aim quick.

Shaines don't worry k1ller just thinks he knows everything and doesn't consider to try and understand what others are saying as long as he can persuade inexperienced fellas.

I don't like to read useless posts on the forums. Questions are ok about any topic but stupid, uneducated answers are not OK. You, shaines and everyone else still have a chance to thoroughly - yet not overelaborating - explain what DPI / Windows accuracy / enhanced precision / sensitivity mean for a casual gamer. "Google it" is not a good answer.

@AK-47
Don't copy their settings. Find the one that suits u best, high or low sens. in any case with practice you can learn to use it so that it will reflect your actual reflexes and accuracy
tip: don't use low sensitivity if u don't have enough space to move your mouse, a blocked mouse is an useless mouse no matter what

That is not right. "Find the one that suits u best" doesn't mean anything. He'd have to play for months to randomly hit the right settings. That's why he is asking.

Having too high sensitivity is bad. New gamers don't understand it because they don't know better. That is why someone needs to tell them "lower your sensitivity". But how much? Start from very low value and raise it whenever you feel it's too low. It's easier than starting from high value and going down. At some point it will "feel right" but it'd be still better to have lower sensitivity. Nobody would "go down" if it "felt right".

Noticing that your mouse movement is blocked is a clear indicator that the sensitivity is too low -> raise sensitivity. If your sensitivity was too high you'd never notice this issue.

Edit: First post in this thread is a great question. Google it and you'll find threads that are battling over the same thing. The ones that I found didn't have any definitive answer to this. There is that one blog article or alike which explains it very well but I can't find it. Someone posted it at Setti once but I don't remember when or who.
Posted Image

#16 porov

porov

Pro

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:29 PM

K1ller is 100% right. I might also add that when moving around it is very hard to track a person if you sens is high.

I used to play wolfet, a game much like quake where tracking people was crucial, because everybody was moving constantly, if you stayed still you died.

Now I bought a 2000 dpi mouse and use sens 0.5, this is great for tracking people but also very hard to turn around so you must put extra effort when doing it.
Posted Image

#17 sev.en

sev.en

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:00 AM

this topic really helped alot, thanks for posting up all the material and instructions you guys talked about!

:cheers:
Posted Image

#18 Guest_kwuteg

Guest_kwuteg
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:36 PM

lmao.. how about you k1ller post some fucking facts about your views instead of random dribble that will make noobs lick your ass..

1. windows sens should always be 6/11, no, I*m not gonna tell you why cos, reading your dribble, you dont deserve to know.

2.Acceleration should be turned off. A quetsion of preference, but its better turned off.

3.just pick any dpi setting you like it doesnt matter, 400/450/800 must be the most commonly ones used. No i'm not going to explain anything about it. Google it noob.

4.Ingame sens should be something you're comfortrable with.. Best sensitivity is so that you can steadily track a moving target and move. The faster sens you can handle steadily and consistently is the best possible pick. You might also consider making your mousepad width 180 degrees ingame. Whatever makes you tick.

I use 450dpi, ingame sens is 1.2 and windows is 6/11, that makes it 450 x 1,2 x 1 = 540, there you go, a nice solid number for your sensitivity. And again, i'm not goin to tell you where it comes from, figure it out if you're so smart.

#19 SEAD

SEAD

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationChisinau , localhost

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:38 PM

CS 1.6

zoom 1.4

800 dpi , x-718BK

in windows : 6

please tho now ask me original mouse speed in windows ) ( xp )

sorry for my English
Posted Image

#20 Mystery Repeats

Mystery Repeats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

I've taken about 3-4 years to find the mouse settings I liked. I even had to switch my mouse pad becouse it wasn't what I wanted.

I use css speed 2.75 and windows speed 11 (Without enhanced pointer precision)
I use gliders for my Razor Imperator (so it feel a bith smoother on my Steelseries sx)

I take about 9-12 cm to turn 360 degrees, with recently oiled mouseplate (been to lazy to measure)

I know a lot of people say I am wrong but: Its not only you're settings, also you're gear. (yeye, I know its mostly settings, but I noticed a HUGE diffrence when upgrading my gear)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users