Photo

Does using Setti compromise your own Steam account?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NessPJ

NessPJ

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

Hi all,

I was at a LAN Party recently and seeing as not everyone had a legal version of CSS someone decided to up Setti CSS for everyone.
We all played it and had a great time.
But it made me wonder... does Setti in anyway comprimise people that use it on a PC where they also have a legal Steam installation running?

I ask because i noticed that the startup .bat files make a few changed to the registry as well.

As a second question i was wondering if someone could explain me where exactly Setti differs from a legal copy of the game.
Does the rev.ini file cover all settings that are different from normal CSS?
Is it possible to run a Setti server and get it advertised on the Steam master (and make legit CSS players join as well) ?

Thanks in advance for any info. :)

#2 Zbang

Zbang

One of us

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:27 PM

Make sure you shut down steam while you play steam games. Also close steam while you play steam(DRM) protected games such as Metro 2033, F3AR, Black Ops and others.

If you do this your account is safe.

#3 NessPJ

NessPJ

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

Wow! Then i am very lucky i consequently closed my Steam each time before playing the Setti version.
Would i have gotten my account/game banned on Steam otherwise?

#4 Selena

Selena

No Nonsense Taker

• Moderators - Minecraft admin
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSetti 3's Kindergarten

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

Would i have gotten my account/game banned on Steam otherwise?

No, If Steam was running when you played CSS, the game would not have opened, would have given you an error. Steam automatically starts up when my Computer starts up and many times I forget to close steam when opening CSS.

Well at least nothing has happened to my Steam account yet. :thumbsup:

#5 NessPJ

NessPJ

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

Good to hear, thanks. :)

Any clue on my other questions perhaps?

- Would it be possible to set up a dedicated Setti server (and advertise it on Steam) so anyone could join (Setti, Steam legit or other pirated copy user) ?

- Also, does Setti CSS have any differences or shortcomings compared to its legit counterpart?
Or does rev.ini reference to simply all differences that apply?

#6 Mentiroso

Mentiroso

Master

• Moderators - CS admin
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

to answer these 2 last questions:
1: yes
2: no

the advantage of having steam is more choice of server and server locations, and being able to take part in more competitive gameplay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users