Photo

SRCDS v34

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_Gustavo

Guest_Gustavo
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:27 PM

I know that all!!!!!!! But there are many servers with v34.i wanted to know how i can make one too!! at least without orangebox!! omfg.. or how i can setup one with an Dedicated server!!!! iDK!!!

#62 Mark

Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Simple. Extract the server files. Then extract the windows addon (if your using windows). then make a batch file or shortcut to srcds to run your server. Its simple.

#63 Guest_Gustavo

Guest_Gustavo
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

But iam not using windows ;) An dedicated server without nothing... not like in verygames gameservers.com etc... cause i heard that there are peoples hosting their servers.. (v34)

please tell me

#64 sudo

sudo

Regular

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Locationsudoers

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:19 PM

Nobody will understand you. Just write in French. Merci.
#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

#65 Guest_Gustavo

Guest_Gustavo
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

Nobody will understand you. Just write in French. Merci.

#66 Guest_Gustavo

Guest_Gustavo
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:15 AM

Pff i understanded here all.Just don't wanna help me.Add me at Steam that we can talk better.!! not sending all times posts here and ..

Steam: miguel961

#67 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

Pff i understanded here all.Just don't wanna help me.Add me at Steam that we can talk better.!! not sending all times posts here and ..

I second sudo - I don't know what you are asking / saying. There is practically one install step:

1. Unpack the file (csds-v34-2009-08-26.tar.gz)

(2. If you are using Windows unzip the Windows addon)
Now you just need to help yourself and see some trouble trying stuff out. Srcds v34 is an old version and only people who know what they are doing should be using it.

PS. Your English really is so bad that it's not possible to understand what you are trying to say. Write in French.

PPS. My support stops here.
Posted Image

#68 sudo

sudo

Regular

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Locationsudoers

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:59 PM

What's wrong writing here? If you need private support, pay someone who have better knowledge of SRCDS. Otherwise forget about making a v34 server. Its very very hard for you. I can say this because you don't understand anything.

You are a very negative person. If we didn't want to help, there will be no v34 download in this forum. -.-

Je ne suis pas aider quelqu'un qui n'apprécie pas l'aide de notre part. Et qui ne sait pas comment lire les instructions.

#69 Mark

Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

Yeah, I love you guys for finding this for me :wub:

Oh, yes, I have another question. If one person has high ping/latency can they lag the entire server?

And... I can't right click my srcds console window so I can copy anything from there.

#70 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

Oh, yes, I have another question. If one person has high ping/latency can they lag the entire server?

It's possible in a way. But it's not as simple as many might think.

You should think of it intuitively. If there are 10 persons (players) speaking and 9 of them are speaking with 10ms delay (ping) they are quite interactive which each others. If there is one person with 1000ms latency (delay) then he will seem out of sync with the others. However if all persons speak through mediator (server) then the server can adjust the order in which incoming messages (people speaking) reach other participants. Then even the guy with 1000ms latency might seem to respond to things that others said 990ms seconds ago. Continue your train of thought from here and you should intuitively understand why it is difficult to communicate over varying latencies. Other players might still be communicating with only 10ms latency but if you were trying to discuss with the one with 1000ms latency you'd be forced to wait for his messages to come in with 1000ms delay.

There are technical <- read carefully -> ways to make the latency between players seem smaller or nonexistent. However there is no way to make the latency disappear.

For more info read:
http://developer.val...ag_compensation (easy)
http://developer.val...ayer_Networking (difficult)
http://developer.val...orking_Entities (Valve developers)

Setting ping limit to ~100-120ms might be a good idea. There is no optimal or non-optimal value but at around that range people seem to start lagging.

Also notice that ping isn't everything that there is to lag a player. For that info you need to read the above Valve wiki articles. Reading and understanding them is difficult. It's OK to go with the idea that "my configs seem to work fine although I don't know why". When you really understand multiplayer networking you could be working at Valve for high salary :thumbsup:

And... I can't right click my srcds console window so I can copy anything from there.

I don't know about Windows servers much. In Linux it's possible because the server is started in default Linux console. In Windows I assume it's starting in Windows' command prompt window.

To make Windows' command prompt window copy&pastable easily do following:
1. Start cmd.exe
2. Right click on left upper corner
3. Properties -> Enable: QuickEdit mode (and Insert mode)

Don't close your cmd.exe. Change directory to your SRCDS directory in the command prompt. Start your server. Hope that you can copy from the server now.
Posted Image

#71 sudo

sudo

Regular

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Locationsudoers

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

I personally use this method to mark/copy and paste anything from srcds console.

Right click on the SRCDS on the taskbar and follow the screenshot.
Click on mark and then select the part you want to copy and then right click to copy and paste where ever you want :)
Posted Image
This method is quite similar to k1ller's way still.
Remember, when using mark and highlighting for long time, the server will lag for players.
I have yet to try k1ller's way although I think enabling quick edit will cause problem since the console is always getting updated with logs...

#72 Mark

Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

K1ller, I did not understand a word you said. :\ Makes me feel stupid. So... yes or no?

Anyways, Sudo, that will not work with windows 7.

K1ller, your way for copying doesn't work. I did what you said. opened a new cmd windows, enabled quickedit and insert (was already enabled), then i used cd c:\users\mark\desktop\srcds to change the directory to where srcds.exe is located. I then went to srcds windows and tried to right click and nothing happened. Either way wouldn't I have to do this every time?

My players seem to lag a lot and its unexplainable. I'm thinking its my bandwidth cause I downloaded a 10gb file a week ago. Bandwidth renews every month right? I never tried running a clean server. Its possible that its a plugin causing the lag. When there are a few players on like >6 they say there is no lag. But when there is 10 players or 14 players on it lags. Does this mean my internet connection isn't good enough?

Posted Image

On some days it can be up to 25mb/s, but it will never go below 10mb/s.

#73 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:46 PM

K1ller, I did not understand a word you said. :\ Makes me feel stupid. So... yes or no?

Read it again until you understand. Your question is not pure yes / no question. Lag is not in yes / no form.

Here's Richard Feynman explaining it:

Anyways, Sudo, that will not work with windows 7.

K1ller, your way for copying doesn't work. I did what you said. opened a new cmd windows, enabled quickedit and insert (was already enabled), then i used cd c:\users\mark\desktop\srcds to change the directory to where srcds.exe is located. I then went to srcds windows and tried to right click and nothing happened. Either way wouldn't I have to do this every time?

After changing to the directory you need to launch the server from the command line too. I'm not completely sure if you did so as you mention "srcds window" as if it was unrelated to your command line window. You need to start srcds in your command line window.

You can set QuickEdit mode to be default in cmd.exe so you wouldn't have to do it every time. You can also make a batch file to automatically launch srcds in a command line window. You might even be able to make Quickedit default in srcds itself.

My players seem to lag a lot and its unexplainable. I'm thinking its my bandwidth cause I downloaded a 10gb file a week ago. Bandwidth renews every month right?

Bandwidth varies from server hoster to server hoster. There are also many misconceptions about bandwidth. If you have 100Mbps line then it is enough - it has nothing to do with how much data you've transferred on it.

I never tried running a clean server. Its possible that its a plugin causing the lag. When there are a few players on like >6 they say there is no lag. But when there is 10 players or 14 players on it lags. Does this mean my internet connection isn't good enough?

Posted Image

It can mean that. It can also mean that your server isn't good enough to host 14 players. Your upload bandwidth is clearly too limited so that is the reason.

On some days it can be up to 25mb/s, but it will never go below 10mb/s.

That is your download speed. That is required when players send you data. But you need to send lots of data to players too and for that 0.92Mbps is way too low. "What is enough?" you ask. Watch Richard Feynman video and he'll explain it for you, I say.
Posted Image

#74 sudo

sudo

Regular

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Locationsudoers

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

Dont host server on same system/home network where you also play css. It will always lag. Get proper hosting. Buy Dedicated servers avoid VPS.

#75 Mark

Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:49 PM

Im not going to waste my money. A good vps is $40/month and I will make $0/month. If I buy a game server they will not support no-steam and not support older versions. It seems way easier to die in new css.

Anyways I read it again and I understand it but it didn't answer my question. You just proved that if someone has higher latency the people with lower latency will have to wait for his messages to come in late. I meant if one person has lets say 500ms and everyone on average has around 100ms, when the 500ms player joins can he make everyone else's latency increase, or is it just a misconception?

#76 sudo

sudo

Regular

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Locationsudoers

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:51 AM

Im not going to waste my money. A good vps is $40/month and I will make $0/month. If I buy a game server they will not support no-steam and not support older versions. It seems way easier to die in new css.

What support? You support it yourself. They will just support the server and its connectivity to the internet. Dont go for VPS nomatter how good they are. They are not powerful enough to be game servers because they share resources. You need Dedicated Servers to host proper non steam servers. But I still agree that orangebox css server is the way :)

Anyways I read it again and I understand it but it didn't answer my question. You just proved that if someone has higher latency the people with lower latency will have to wait for his messages to come in late. I meant if one person has lets say 500ms and everyone on average has around 100ms, when the 500ms player joins can he make everyone else's latency increase, or is it just a misconception?

Person with higher ping will not make other players ping high. Its your server's resources bottleneck that causes high ping for players. I am only referring your case. Everyone will have stable ping if it wasn't hosted on home connection and on same machine.

#77 Mark

Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:26 AM

I mean a game server which will install srcds for you. They wont support allow no-steam because of law suits and what not.

http://www.serverpronto.com/ would that be good, and I mean the basic one because the starter has 512mb ram and that doesn't seem like enough, but what do I know. (Edit: nevermind those cheap bastards want an extra $30 a month just for windows, because there is no way in hell I'm using linux).

I just wanted my own css server. It seems I can't get it or get anything else because something always goes wrong.

Either way I'm not putting money into this server unless I make money, otherwise it ill be up for a few months then I'll be broke. I only have $300 after all.

Edited by Mark, 31 August 2010 - 01:34 AM.

#78 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:14 AM

Yes and no. You are making it seem like "yes / no" question but it is not. Think of lag as a value between 0 and infinity. Now is it lagging if the value is 10? Or maybe 100? Or 100000000? What you are asking is like "is it lagging if the value is 500? or 499,999? How about 1?"

When the player with 500ms ping joins it causes server to do more interpolation on player positions than it had to do before. Server can still compute stuff for 100ms players as if nothing had happened but if 100ms players interact with 500ms players - for example fight eachothers. Then it can seem that 100ms shot first when in fact he didn't. Then it would seem like lag for 100ms player because he is used to kill other 100ms players. But this is not the whole truth. The server needs to do more prediction on player actions because there is that one 500ms player - that can have bad effect on the gameplay of others. 500ms player doesn't directly make every 100ms player lag. Many players probably wouldn't even notice lag unless there were other players to interact with - your own game does lots of intelligent things too. When you move on your keyboard you actually move on the server 100ms later, the 500ms guy moves 0.5s later. You don't notice it because your game (client) responds to your keypresses instantly and moves you somewhere - the server will then after 100ms tell where you actually moved and the client will fix the location of your view to that exact point. It doesn't fix it instantly but smooths (cl_smooth and related variables) you to that position.

The question which you are asking has obvious answer which you probably weren't asking. No, the player with 500ms latency doesn't make everyone else's latency higher. It doesn't make sense. You just make it seem as if latency was everything there is because that's one value that Valve developers have seen useful to put visible on the scoreboard. If they put something like "prediction accuracy" there lots of people would be asking "what is this shit?" and that is the reason why latency is the most complicated thing that can be put on the scoreboard. That is why people think latency is everything that is causing lag. That is why people ask these yes / no questions on the forums. It's OK to ask though.
Posted Image

#79 Mark

Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:08 AM

Well your just making the question more complicated than it is, but I got my answer either way. A player kept saying kick this dude and that dude they are lagging the server, and I just wanted to prove to him that isn't true so he'll leave me alone, but I must agree with him that it can be frustrating playing with players who have a high latency.

#80 k1ller

k1ller

Admin

• Moderators - Admin
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:47 AM

Well your just making the question more complicated than it is, but I got my answer either way. A player kept saying kick this dude and that dude they are lagging the server, and I just wanted to prove to him that isn't true so he'll leave me alone, but I must agree with him that it can be frustrating playing with players who have a high latency.

:pinch:

Here's an example how player can cause lag without having a bad ping. If a player has too high GFX settings his updaterate will be capped by the FPS he has. For example having a 66 tick server and a player who can have FPS around 15-20 would only send 15-20 status updates per second about his whereabouts and actions. The server maximum would be 3 times higher, so the player is "lagging" 1/3 of the server.

So, if he only sends and receives 1/3 of the updates that the server computes how does it affect his ping? It doesn't. Ping is the latency it takes for the data packets to reach the server (and come back - note that here the words "latency" and "ping" would technically have different meaning).

The question which you ask is complicated. You just make it seem as if it was simple by asking it in a simple way. Ask yourself for example: Do clouds cause rain? Yes or no?

Edit: For more info read http://css.setti.inf...erspect-of-fps/
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users